Tuesday, January 2, 2007

work starts in 15 minutes

Isn't ridiculous how you feel like you have to go through all of these morning rituals before work can actually begin. For me, it can be a 4 hour process. Making breakfast, coffee, eating, cleaning up, shower or no shower?? gym or no gym??, stretching, computer, bills, snack....it could really go on like this easily for an entire day. Believe me. But, today, I will be getting to work after two waking hours pass. Not too bad.

My practice plan: 1/2/2007
12-1 warm-up, scales and arpegg, octaves and double stop excercises (I have these great and somewhat evil books by Cassia Harvey called Double Stop Musings that I recommend if you're in to torturing yourself...but you feel buff after)

1:15-2:15 Britten
45 minutes of mvt VIII (presto) slowly and gradually with metronome
15 minutes review of recently "learned" mvts

Break

3:30-4:30 Britten
30 minutes of presto...continue where I left off
30 minutes of mvt VI (Andante espressivo)

I know this is pretty ambitious...but there is really no reason that this can't be done. I'll keep updating on my progress.

2 comments:

daniella said...

I love that you've started detailing the daily grind. I've found it nearly impossible to wrap my brain around practicing for the last two weeks. Today was better, who knows what tomorrow will bring...what are your thoughts on convincing yourself to get an old piece back in shape without just mindlessly sawing away?
big love from berlin,
D

meals said...

Hey C! Just a word of wisdom from my Mom, who once told me it's been scientifically proven that procrastinators are more creative people. So you should be proud of yourself for your morning... thing. I have it too. I have no idea how it happens, every morning, but it does. And in response to Daniella's question about an old piece- schedule a recital! Especially at a really inconvenient time so you have to bust your ass. I have one in two weeks, and it's a complete mystery how it's all going to come together... But it is nice to revisit old pieces!